Thursday, March 09, 2006

Color, Color Color

We lost our router for a day or two, so I have been offline and amazed at the things I can get done without spending gobs of time on Bloglines. And, as I'm sure you're expecting, after the vast expanses of white, I am bingeing on color around here!

Project #1: (left) Kimono Angora tipless gloves, based on Ann Budd's glove recipe in the Handy Book of Knitting Patterns. I remember thinking that I would never knit gloves; all those fingers seemed so tedious! Well, fingers, it turns out, are small, and especially if you dispense with the fingertips, they get done pretty fast! This yarn is delicious, but I keep getting little bits of fuzz in my mouth! I swatched this yarn quite a bit to come up with a fabric that I liked, and US3s were the winner, which is a considerably tighter gauge than the ball band recommends.


Project #2: (right) It's another Placket Neck Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, this time in Encore Colorspun. I know, I know, it is a mostly acrylic blend (75% acrylic, 25% wool), but I will say that this yarn is great for baby stuff. While I do not mind handwashing or generally fussing over handknits, I can't expect all recipients of knitterly goodness do so. My first consideration of any knitted gift be that the recipient actually wears the garment. Encore is easy to take care of and very soft and wearable, and I will even admit, very pleasant to knit with. So there, take that, fiber snobs!

2 comments:

Ann said...

The gloves look great--terrific yarn. I always have a hard time getting my fingerless glove fingers to come out even. The fingers end up different lengths no matter how hard I try.

The baby sweater looks fun -- very colorful! I've got some baby presents to deal with but I'm holding off until the Lettuce Knit sale this weekend ... now that will be yummy!

Anonymous said...

anne marie says "why are you getting fuzz balls in your mouth? yarn is not for eating, silly!"

seriously, looking good, my fellow SnK'er!