Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cabling Along


Welcome back everyone!

I've been plugging away at Norah Gaughan's Deep V-Neck Vest from Knit Simple Fall 06. I'm using the Berroco Ultra Alpaca called for in the pattern. The color is Redwood Mix (6281), and it's beautiful. (Not so much in this photo.)

This vest had to be made following the enormous inspiration from Ann's Pie Man and my desire to knit something by Norah Gaughan. Plus, it spoke to the lazy knitter in me -- no cables on the back (just moss stitch) and no arms! Just perfect.

Well ... just perfect until I couldn't hit gauge no matter what size needle I used. Has that ever happened to you? Finally, I decided to go down a size and hope for the best. The measurements look good so far. I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

Teresa said...

I haven't had that problem (well not when it has been crucial), however I have heard try alternating needle sizes. On the RS knit with needle size x, on wrong size knit with x-1 (or +1) whatever is needed to hit gauge. All though this only works if you are knitting back and forth.

Liz K. said...

I always have a hard time getting both stitch and row gauge. This is why I am a fan of the top-down sweater! I have also learned to tweak a little here and there to make it work out, if I am a fraction of an stitch off, perhaps.

Ann said...

I fudge on the gauge a lot. I guess I just alter the pattern as needed to fit the measurements if the gauge looks like it should, does that make sense?

I'm assuming that you are casting on a different number of stitches for the back and front as well to account for the cables ...

Mo said...

Yep, the pattern calls for fewer stitches on the back. Now if I could only get to the back ...

Dorothy said...

I haven't had much luck with gauge either. I haven't ventured much beyond things that don't really need to be exact though.

Anonymous said...

I am struggling with the whole gauge thing right now, too. Mine is with socks. ( I am new to sock knitting) I have three pair I want to knit and cannot get gauge on any. I have knit all three yarns on 0' 1's and 2's. No match. And socks being so small I think the gauge should be dead on. Plus there's huge differnce between the 1's and 2's. I'm stumped.