Tuesday, December 12, 2006

More small sweater-ing...

I would like to report that although my duties as Chief Santa Claus in a family with two very enthusiastic young holiday revelers and two major religions to represent have me very busy, I have managed to avoid being crushed by holiday knitting.

This shiny-clean sink represents the first time this blog actually encouraged me to do housework rather than studiously avoiding it.

I make it a general rule to not knit on a deadline. It harshes my mellow, you know. Another general rule is that I do not foist my handknits on people unless they ask. I wonder if I appreciate and enjoy the making of the gift more than the recipient enjoys receiving or using it. Perhaps this is just me being self-effacing, or just plain selfish. Suffice it to say, I am no Carolyn, although don't you wish you were in her family?

Now if someone asks me for something, I will knit with abandon and love (see my little sister, my mother-in-law, husband, children...). Take the one knitted gift I am making this year, a little cardigan for my niece's American Girl doll. She wants her doll to have a Catholic school uniform to match hers. Her grandmother will supply the jumper and blouse, but Aunt Lizzie is making the sweater, complete with an embroidered monogram.


It just needs sleeves now.

My darling niece happens to attend the very same Catholic school that I attended some, er, 20 or so years ago. And it was there that I developed my deep aversion to All Things Navy Blue. After wearing a Navy Blue jumper every day of my life for 8 years, followed by four more years of a Mostly Navy Blue plaid kilt with a Navy Blue blazer, I do not wear Navy Blue. Ever.

That's why it is a mystery to me that I ever bought this Navy Blue Patons Kroy, but there is was, marinating for years in the stash, just waiting to be the perfect little cardigan for a beloved niece's beloved doll. It will be the perfect accompaniment to the rest of her gift, a knitting basket and entry into Rosebud's and my Knitting Club.

And seeing as how Rosebud's Christmas heart's desire is an American Girl doll, I think I will be making lots more teensy sweaters.

"Honey, that looks huge. Are you sure it's not going to be too big?" asked Mr S as his wife continues to knit the enormous sweater...

All this has not kept me from plugging away on the gigantic Dylan Goes Electric for my darling Mr S. The DGE for Mr. S has a complete back. This sweater is taking a long time, even after learning how to cable without a cable needle.

Talk about harshing ones mellow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hah... harshing the mellow. Clever. :) I love the DGE.. very nice. How sweet of you to knit a cardi for your beloved niece. Maybe you can snag a picture of AG doll in her new uniform when the time comes?

Anonymous said...

please assure me that you've held the sweater back up to Mr. S's back and ensured that it's not too big? I'd hate for you to make a matching front and then discover it. I know how flat pieces always look huge, though, so it's probably just a perception thing. Right? Love the soaps! I have a "Joy" soap tha I should put out; thanks for the reminder.

Ann said...

The soaps are great! And I'm impressed at your composure in the face of so much holiday knitting! I have merely The Socks and some crowns and I don't think I'll make it ...

That sweater looks ginormous. You have held it up to Mr. S, right?

Mo said...

DGE is beautiful. Bravo.