Saturday, May 17, 2008

I Wanna Be Popular!

One of my favorite features in Ravelry is searching the most popular patterns. It is surprising, because I generally eschew the popular for the obscure and unique. But in knitting, patterns are popular for very good reasons: a simple stitch pattern used to good effect (Jaywalkers), a universally flattering sweater (Hourglass), or it is just plain cool to knit (Clapotis).

I was looking down the list of popular socks, and I was surprised to find many great sock patterns that I had not yet knit. So in my constant search to keep up with the popular kids, I knit a pair of Hederas in honor of Project Spectrum's EARTH element.


I used Shibui sock yarn and let's just say it once and for all: Shibui pools. Big wedge-shaped striped pooling. On the lace portions of the sock, it isn't so noticeable, but look at the sole:


Yeah. That's some pooling.

Hedera socks are one of those patterns that are popular for a good reason: the stitch pattern is easy to memorize, and it creates a pretty sock. The only modification I made was to shorten the heel flap, which I think was written for a very high instep.

I'm thinking my next sock might be Charades, yet another popular sock pattern.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Love them! The yarn looks like it behaved really well on the rest of the sock -- and really, who's gonna be staring at the sole?

I've only knit Hedera once so far, but I always refer to them now as The Socks with the Longest Gusset Ever.

Ann said...

Those socks look great -- I think the pooling ends up looking very cool -- a design element even ...

I love looking at the popular patterns too! Ravelry can just make time disappear ...

Anonymous said...

You're so silly. You are one of the popular kids! Your Hederas turned out fantastic!

nova said...

What? I thought you were popular! I love your hederas. It was my first non stockinette sock pattern and it holds a warm place in my heart...

Aileen said...

They look great! I just need to get my lazy butt into making socks as fast as you guys.

LaurieM said...

Thanks for the Ravelry tip. I'm having fun with it.

The socks look fab.

Lolly said...

I love them! I haven't made these yet, but they always look great. This yarn looks nice too - even with the pooling.

Dorothy said...

The socks are beautiful and I kind of like that kind of pooling.

Elinor said...

Popular? Geez, you're Crossroad Knits Liz! EVERYONE knows Crossroad Knits Liz!

Meh, I've seen much worse pooling. Hell, my Shibuis pooled worse than that. I actually like it when yarn pools in stripes on the soles.

Anonymous said...

I'm always about 9 months behind on the popular stuff. Sometimes 18 months.

Hedera has been on my list since they came out and yours are really nice.

Ravelry love, sigh...